Monday 13 January 2014

Applying, Step 2: Applications



Although I usually post on a Friday I thought my wee words of wisdom might be useful to anyone out there who is at this moment struggling with sending in their applications for university next academic term - and who may just be sending it off for a social science's degree. The deadline is Wednesday, 15th January at 6pm - London time! Go to this link for any last minute decision makers or breakers!

*

Writing my application was a lot harder than I thought it would be, a lot of question answering, online forms, and general digging for evidence. I originally considered it to be my grades that would be my downfall, however with encouragement from the lecturers and staff I had met at the Open Days, I applied first, rather than wait to get a chance through clearing. While time-consuming, most of it is straightforward clicking and personal details, but as I said, I just had to dig out all my old school days certificates, GCSE's, NVQ's, even things like ICT, or Child Safeguarding. I searched high and low for all the evidence I could find to show that I had worked hard academically and made as much use of my time as possible through experience and worthwhile projects. I also contacted my former NVQ Assessor, a wonderful, relaxed and experienced woman, who straight away agreed to be a reference for my application, as she knew my work ethic as well as the studious side of me in my written work. Someone like that is probably your best bet because you want the university to know you're a worthwhile person as well as can hold a pen and formulate some ideas on paper.

Finally, I needed to write my statement. Never ever written anything like it before! I decided to go for the straightforward approach, and just tell my life story from beginning to end, trying to join the dots to show that this degree was perfect for me. Perfect because I had done volunteering for a community centre who supported young people; perfect because I had worked in nurseries for two years and knew the foundations to childhood that could be built upon within the degree; perfect because although I've tried out different career paths, I have always been drawn to supporting others, especially children and families. Perfect because I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life! - but this degree could open up so many ideas and pathways to my future.

Your life story may not be as long as mine was, you may have nothing in the way of experience, but somewhere, inside, you have something that wants to give to and help others, whether behind the scenes or on the frontline. And it's that something that you need to put in your statement.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment