Friday 18 April 2014

Do the words routine and student fit in the same sentence?

My week is hardly routine, just when I think I’ve got it sussed, is when something else pops its head up to throw things around again. Perhaps it’s what being a student is all about; perhaps it’s because I enjoy it. From Society events, volunteering opportunities, to having an impromptu review with a peer.

The first regularity is my work life, which is related to what I am studying (hence why employers feel I am getting more educated and can load more work on me). But I keep reminding myself how valuable this is as this is what will guide me into the career of my dreams once I graduate, nothing gets a job better than having a job. Ironic I know.

Secondly, I daren’t miss lectures, seminars or even the workshops; I guarantee you that the ONE you miss will end up being the one that has THE most important piece of information just happening to crop up in conversation. I have missed some due to illness, and even when I couldn’t help it I wished I had been able to make it in. I also find that if I go to teaching hours then it gives me less to review in my research time as I have already been able to ask my questions and learn it well in class. NB: Your lecturers are likely to tolerate your incessant questions more when they know you've made the effort to come to their teaching. I mean, can you blame them from staring at you when they've already been over the same question with everyone else a hundred times already?!


Lastly I cannot go a week without going over my notes and reading up on what we have learned or dabbled in. I find this keeps my interest even after those few teaching hours when you’re struggling to stay interested (or at least trick yourself by pretending to be), something will ring in my ear and I’ll be like “Hmm…I wonder what that is all about.” And quite often it will be more than useful in the long run. I’ll end up watching a movie /documentary about it or researching online and finding that golden nugget - and commence the Hallelujah chorus!



1 comment:

  1. Anna. This is Jonathan Reynolds. I met you in 2007 when you were at Missionzones. A lot has changed with me for hte positive and I would like to make amends with you. Please feel free to contact me at saxmanjr@gmail.com. You might like to know that the prophecy you gave me has now been very slowly unfolding before my very eyes since December 8th 2014 and I am in shock over what and who I see written all over it. I would like to share more with you! I hope to hear form you sometime.

    ReplyDelete