Friday 18 July 2014

job SOURCING

Thought I would refresh my memory on job sourcing this summer, whether exclusively for the holidays, a sandwich job, or your first step on the career ladder (ie. you're doing a Criminology degree and decide to do admin for the Police Department).

As far as I know both Child and Adolescent Studies, and Criminology have lectures/seminars themed around job hunting, interview skills etc, in their 2nd year. An assignment where your CV, cover letter, Personal Development Plan (look below at my sample of a PDP) and job research is graded. I'm not rubbish at CVs, but it was a good way to know I was on the right track, giving me confidence in my interview skills, and analysis of a job is something I'd never done professionally before.

The UoB has a great page for CV and cover letter writing (click right here) but not only that they offer a free drop in session at Career Services on the ground floor of I block. I found this terrifically useful in the assignment, with proof reading my CV and PDP, and one of the advisors even gave me a good hour and a half for some career guidance. They also do a similar certification called the EDGE

Having said all that, I'd like to put it out there that the formal "job hut" and CV saturation of your entire town/city, isn't always going to be YOUR route to the job you're after - in fact we may often find ourselves somewhere better than our dream job. For example, when I first signed up to university and was looking for work, I signed up as a Nursery Nurse with a local recruitment agency, staffing nurseries and creches when needed. This led to me staffing schools when Teaching Assistants were absent, which then ended up with my being employed in one (I went through the external interview process but from knowing the school I was much more confident). Now I am seeking what avenues I can pursue to benefit my experience and career, whether it's after-school-clubs, interventions, parent workshops - might end up doing a PGCE yet.

I will be honest and say I don't know where I'm headed, but if you keep asking questions, keep throwing yourself out there, you are bound to end up somewhere very interesting and possibly the best thing that could happen to you. Now to keep my eyes peeled and myself at the ready this summer holidays ….


No comments:

Post a Comment