Saturday 12 July 2014

read a little, live a lot

As I mentally prepare my reading list for the months before October term begins, I consider what type of reading I want to partake of.

Academic texts, a no brainer of course I must read this dreaded stuff, and make notes and arguments, and reference correctly and get what studies have been found to back up my arguments,

BBC News and other independent but reliable sources, yes I would like to stay connected with present day affairs and political impacts. The Metro, seeing as I don't read the celebrity tabloids and political inclined papers such as the SUN (Conservative), Guardian (Labour) (please see BBC News analysis of paper politics), the Metro is concise with it's stories and covers a wide variety including strange stories that local councils have to deal with.

Blogs have a wonderful ability of giving a view through an individuals eyes, which is fascinating regardless of what is happening and why, it's about how it impacts the common man and what us civilians live with daily.

Novels okay these are NOT going to benefit your reference list or your research arguments, BUT, they will benefit you. As the linked article explains (Why Readers are the Best People to Fall in Love With), readers are a dying but vital breed of people who know what it's like to touch a thousands lives, emotions, concepts and realities. Yes, a lot of novels are nonsense, but it is imaginative nonsense! And I truly believe that taking time regularly to read something completely opposite to academic will awaken integrity and the creative side of me.

And don't forget to reflect, as taking notes from academic sources are important so as not to lose what you have concluded, so is keeping a notepad or journal to documenting the findings and development of your own mind. I know I intend to.



No comments:

Post a Comment