Friday 27 December 2013

Merry Christmas!

Whether you are someone who celebrates the Christmas season or not, the holidays are all the more sweet after your assignments in December. In speaking to students from other courses, I believe I am right to say that following Block 1 in Term 1 your tutors love to give you a nice big assignment to hand in…or two…or three! I was almost in tears this end of term, simply because I was so happy to have it all done and dusted and be able to travel home to see my family and take a couple of days to think about something else. If you aren't local to your university, it's precious time to go and see loved ones instead of just texting them every now and then to tell them how stressed you are (that would be me). But then I have a sneaky suspicion that in the third year of university you do not get the luxury as many of my third year friends tell me they will be working hard over the break to be ready for assignments once they return, so make the most of it!

As someone who likes to enjoy Christmas to the full, I was really happy to hear that the TreeHouse Faith and Community Centre were hosting a Carols by Candlelight service this month, in our beautiful St Mary's church which is right next to the Luton Campus. This is the second time I have gone, with mince pies and mulled wine it was a great excuse to go and soak up the essence of Christmas with traditional carols and thoughtful words that warm your heart in this icy, bleak time of the year. And it is bleak, with very little sunlight, heavy winds and dark, cold nights, you need a little pick-me-up to lift your heart and remind you that you are not alone.

The TreeHouse is located on the ground floor of the business centre, and offer  quiet and cosy rooms to pray, relax, meditate, or just make friends whatever your beliefs  With tea and coffee, couches and even their own real tree house, it's a great place to nurture that other part of your mind and heart. Coordinated by Reverend Andrew but run on the ground by other student volunteers, involved with happening events such as the Mandela Tribute earlier this month. I would definitely recommend this place if you need a little boost and friendship from like-minded people. Here are some of their details:


Do forgive me for not wishing some of you a Happy Christmas in time, but I hope you all enjoy a terrific and exhilarating new year!




No comments:

Post a Comment