Friday 6 December 2013

the first one

In sitting here, wondering what I should dedicate my first post to, my thoughts wander back to just over a year ago, when I was merely entertaining the idea of university. Wondering if I would fit into the student pigeonhole.

If you're like most people wondering if they should put their hard earned GCSE's or NVQ's in and apply for university, in the UK you've probably heard comments such as "A degree doesn't get you a job!" "It's just a piece of paper!" or even "It's easy!". Well, now in my second year - head brimming with ideas, a fulfilling job on the side, a society full of talented and fun individuals, and a heart full of purpose - I will disagree with each one of those statements.

It's just a piece of paper

Yeah, like any year in school is just a piece of paper. In one year so much of your thinking and personality can change. You can find purpose, excitement and an era of your life never to forget. It is what you make it.

A degree doesn't get you a job.

Being able to speak with confidence about what you know of the ins and outs of social sciences and things happening today in this country; of volunteering you have done and work experience, THAT will get you a great job! It is what you make it.

It's easy!

Lol! No it's not! In my second year I find myself being stretched more than I ever thought possible, and yet I love it! I love finding out what I'm capable of! I love how the lecturers and tutors speak to you with such respect that you realise you deserve that respect because you're working your butt off on that last assignment! It is what you make it.


A degree or qualification can be as worthless as you think it is, or you can begin your career right at the onset and experiment and ask questions and try new things and meet new people, and be ready and raring to go once they let you out those doors after the graduation. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment